A little Bit About Me

My photo




Someplace in Thyme

I have been creating since I was a little girl. I am happy to say that having my own website has opened up a whole new world for me. Trying new mediums is a joy and sometimes a real eye opener. I sell what I create on etsy and my website, someplaceinthyme. If you have questions,please email me at cpeterson72@q.com. I welcome new blog friends and am honored if you find my little piece of heaven interesting enough to follow.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

PINK SATURDAY IN MY LAUNDRY ROOM

I am having some trouble finding wonderful pinks to show you, so this week we are taking a little trip to my laundry room....o.k, I hear you, who wants to do laundry, let alone have to see the room where it's done. But, it's where I am finding my pinks for this week, so please bare with me.
If you follow my blog or know me, then you know I am a basket weaver. I used to be in an AOL basket swap with some very talented weavers. I also did juried shows. The basket you see above was woven on a vintage wash board. It was not woven by me, but by a fellow weaver in Maryland. It is one of my favorites and perfect for the laundry room.

I like to imagine the wash board was well used in it's time and now look at it. It's just gorgeous. I love all the rust, the more the merrier, but don't tell my husband. He would have thrown it in the trash!!! HA


Time enhances the patina on a basket, giving it a rich color which I dearly love. Ahhh, just look at that!!



I am loving the little wooden clothes on this wash board. Too cute for words. I have thought about weaving on it, but decided to start a wash board collection instead. Won't my husband be so happy to hear about that!!


Another basket from a swap. Just look at those buttons!!! So cute. There's some pink in the laundry bags. I wish I had known about all the vintage things I would love as I got older. I remember my grand mother having a laundry bag and I wish I had it today.




I do use this laundry bag to hold vintage clothespins, but I never use them.


Ya gotta have some vintage washing utensils. Soda, Soap (German) and Sand. Doesn't everyone use sand when they wash?!


Now I know you are probably wondering why I have a vintage enamel bread box in my laundry room. I can promise that I have a good reason.
This beautiful box was bought at a flea market while we were leaving in Europe. It had no lid, and as much as I would have loved the missing part, it didn't matter to me. I never intended to use this as bread box. Instead, I use it to hold my handmade washing soap!! Yep, you heard me right, handmade, and it only takes about 5 to 10 minutes to make.
Bloggers are a wonderful people, they share their ideas, hearts and recipes. This is the best soap I have ever used and can't imagine ever buying laundry soap from the supermarket again. If you would like this simple recipe, please go visit The Beehive Cottage HERE. You will not be disappointed.


See my soap? It's pink and smells heavenly too.
Thank you so much Ms. Beverly for once again bringing the pinkies together. You can visit Beverly and all of this weeks participants at How Sweet The Sound.
If you would like to see what I have been up to this week, please check out my business blog Someplace In Thyme2.

43 comments:

Denise@alloverroses said...

Char your laundry room is so cute! I hate laundry but wouldn't mind doing it such a cute room. I had to laugh because I have the same clothespin bag and I have vintage clothespins in mine too! We must have good taste! :) I have no idea yet what my post will be this week and I am surrounded by pink! lol Happy Pink Saturday!
Denise

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Char,
I sure wouldn't mind doing the laundry in your lovely laundry room! So many pretty things to look at and I love the wash board.
Love the enamel bread box too and it's perfect to hold that yummy soap. Thanks for the link to the recipe.

Have a beautiful Pink Saturday.

hugs
Sissie

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Oh Char ... everything looks so pretty. I have a couple of vintage wash boards as well as new ones but ummm ...my laundry room is not fit for anyone's eyes :))
(())

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

A great idea to decorate in vintage for your l. room. I love the German enamelware.

Jillian
Bella Rosa Antiques

Gabriela Delworth - Instructional Designer said...

Happy Pink Saturday!


It looks like a happy place!


~ Gabriela ~

Unknown said...

Love your vintage laundry room! It's so special!

Happy Pink Saturday!
Xoxo
Charo

Cindy said...

How cool that you weave baskets, I am completely impressed! Darling laundry room. I like your clothes pin holders and I make my own laundry soap too! I will never buy a pre made-over-priced product again!

Unknown said...

Thank you for stopping by and becoming my latest follower....I just followed you back and am sure I will not be disappointed in what I find here. Can't wait to get over and check out the soap recipe....sounds wonderful.....and I love Cody and Linus.......your laundry room makes me sad because mine doesn't look like that ...lol
xojana

Susie Jefferson said...

I've never seen such a lovely laundry room! This is a room I could spend TIME in, with a book and everything. Especially with the scent of freshly washed sheets etc, and a background smell of that rather wonderful soap recipe you've been so kind to share. It even LOOKS inviting!

Happy Pink sudsy Saturday to you Char, and thanks so much for visiting (yes, I had a wonderful time!)

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Now, that's what I call a laundry room! I love the baskets, Char! And the washboards are too cute! Thanks for sharing and thanks for your visit. I so appreciate your prayers for my grandbaby! Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Pinks!

Blessings,
Sandi

Donnie said...

What a wonderful way to decorate the laundry area. Loved seeing all your interesting things.

Sarah said...

Everyone needs a little pink in the laundry room! Love the enamel ware pieces. ~ Sarah

A Garden of Threads said...

Love your laundry room. I am off to check out the soap recipe. Enjoy your Pink Saturday.

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Char,
What a fantastic laundry room you have! It almost makes one want to do laundry!
I love the wash boards and the beautiful laundry bags.
And i think your home made soap is so pretty looking!!

HPS!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Annette said...

Your laundry room is wonderful! I remember my mom having a clothespin bag similar to yours when I was a kid. Wish I had it now of course. I am going to try the soap recipe - it looks and sounds great. Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs, Annette

C'est moi Claudette said...

Bonjour Char
I've been wanting to make soap since I saw Beehive Cottage show us how. Your bread tin, even though it's missing it's top is PERFECT.
I'm also lovin' your sweet fur babies all cuddled up.
Hey C'est si bon is playing, I feaured Eartha on my very first post a week ago. LOVE HER and the way she sings this one.
Happy PS.
Love Claudie
xoxoxo

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK for the Sandwich Generation said...

Oh how pretty. The soap is so neat looking with those pinks and I love the pink floral laundry bag. Thank you for a lovely visit for PINK Saturday. :)

Mari said...

HI CHAR AND HAPPY PINK SATURDAY :) I THINK YOUR LAUNDRY ROOM IS ADORABLE!! I LOVE THE OLD WASHING BOARDS :) HOW COOL IS THAT....
I'M LOVING THE IDEA OF MAKING SOME OF MY OWN DETERGENT:)

XO~MARI

Holly said...

Love your laundry room! Everyone should have a laundry room as inviting as yours. Thank you for the soap recipe. I am going to go and look at it.
I hope you have a very Happy Pink Saturday!

Light and Voices said...

What an adorable place to do laundry. I can't imagine making my own soap but will check the site out to see how it is done. Amazing what one can learn blogging. Thank you! HPS.
Joyce M

Gail said...

Love your post today, Cher. The wash boards are awesome, and the baskets, just to cool. I am going to check out that soap recipe, I make my own hand/body soap, so should be doing my own laundry soap, too.
Happy PS
Hugs
Gail

Linda M. said...

Happy Pink Saturday Char, That is the best laundry room I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing. I love the wooden clothes. I must go check out this handmade soap. Hugs, Linda

Tara said...

You must love doing laundry in there! Do you ever come out?! Happy Pink Saturday Char!

Anonymous said...

Your laundry is beautiful. This is my first time visiting, from Pink Saturdays. I'm sure I'll be back. Your blog is pretty. I often wish I'd hung onto some things we had around home when I was growing up. If only I knew then what I know now. Happy Pink Saturday,

Cheers,
Lisa xx

Betty said...

I love your laundry room. I can't believe I gave my washboards away!! I have been looking for a bread box like that too for the same reason. Happy Pink Saturday!!

Gone said...

Love the Laundry Room Char - and I might have to go out and buy the things to make my own laundry soap!! HPS!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Pink Saturday! Your cute laundrey bag assortment makes doing laundry fun! Nice pictures!

ornamentsbypink said...

Hi Char, I'm a new follower here. I love your vintage enamelware! And you even have pretty soap, (I never complimented anyones soap before).
Happy Pink Saturday!
Mary

Michelle said...

Hi Char, Wish I had a laundry room, my waher dryer is in dingy basement...what a lovely room, and I can't wait to hop over to the homemade soap recipe, have been looking for one. Happy PS.

Pinkim said...

Wow, it is very pretty over here...I found you on Pink Saturday...and I am pretty sure I'll be back...I love the baskets and especially the washboard...who knew? I am your newest follower! Pinkim!TrulySimplyPink

Faith Hope and Cherrytea said...

luved your pinks plus all the info and vintagey finds! thx :)

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

You have some charming things in your laundry room! I love the clothespin bags too. There is so much variety in them. Yours are so cute!

Daniella said...

Happy Pink Saturday! Your pinks are divine, and that soap? I HAVE to get that from the link you left!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog today! I must admit, I like the green glass too!! I wish I could post that on Green Saturday! haa.
I've bookmarked your gorgeous blog too!
xxDaniella

Gypsea Nurse said...

Char~ you know of all things.. my eyes went right to that "Sand"bucket!!! Love it!
Happy PS!
Smiles~
Cricket

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Ohhh, love your laundry room and that washboard! I have one in my laundry room. Do you know that I actually washed clothes on one when I lived in Portgual!?!? I like it better hanging on the wall, ROTFL!!!

xxoo
Marsha

Unknown said...

Happy Pink saturday, Love your laundry room goodies, Have a wonderful week! Hugs Marilou

Shirl said...

Hi Char, Happy Pink Saturday! Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment. Love your post this week! Your laundry room is adorable!. So many neat things in your laundry room
Blessings, Shirl
Shirls Rose Cottage

Tiffanee said...

What great laundry room decorations. That would make doing the laundry for me much more bearable.

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Hi Char,

I love the old washboards and the baskets are grand. I'd love to see more of your baskets. And I love, love old clothespin bags.

If I could go back in time to my Grannie's home I'd load up on so much stuff that I remember her having..so much of it went to children that didn't care about it and got rid of it. I was too young at the time to be considered. I did wind up with a few pitchers that belonged to her so I'm happy about that.

I've seen the recipe for the soap many times but have never made it. I really should!

Happy Pink to you...

Hugs,
Stephanie ♥

Anne said...

My most hated house chores is laundry but oh well we can't avoid that, we really have to wash clothes hehehe visiting you here through Pink Saturday. I hope you can visit me back here.

My Daily Mumbles

Thanks

Amisha said...

Oh Char this is lovely! I would be thrilled if you joined my "Being Creative" blog party. You are the first artist I have met who weaves baskets so I am so excited.

Manni said...

Hi Char
I love your laundry room!! Its so much better than mine. ( its in the dungeon!! lol) Love the wash boards, my used to have one back home !!
hugs
Manni

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

Cute pink post! I'm just now getting around to Pink Saturday! I just read your remodeling post. Oh what fun! Hope you survive. Have a great week!
Tammy