A little Bit About Me

My photo




Someplace in Thyme

I have been creating since I was a little girl. I am happy to say that having my own website has opened up a whole new world for me. Trying new mediums is a joy and sometimes a real eye opener. I sell what I create on etsy and my website, someplaceinthyme. If you have questions,please email me at cpeterson72@q.com. I welcome new blog friends and am honored if you find my little piece of heaven interesting enough to follow.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Waste Not, Want Not

PJ's are something I have been making for my grandchildren for a few years now. Allie is my oldest and she is 5 years old. I started the Jammie's around the time she turned 2.
I have a great pattern for the tops and the bottoms, but found that following the measurements the pattern gave me for fabric was off.
Now, I will admit, it could (and probably was) me that was off, although I have been sewing since I was in high school and I am not telling how many decades that was. The point is, I know how to read a pattern.
After laying out the fabric and the pattern, I was short fabric. This is something that I don't find any fun. I have a choice of going back for more fabric, or trying to improvise using something that might match.
After this, I just began to buy several yards of what I wanted and no longer paid any attention to the suggested yardage......hence, WAAAAAY TO MUCH OF A GOOD THING.
Not wanting to waste all this sweet, cute, precious and adorable flannel, we are talking about flannel here, I decided to pull out the patterns and see what I could come up with.
Long pj's, short pj's, (it is summer, after all) and in between pj's. Don't laugh, haven't you ever seen capri Jammie's before? : )

I managed to get all of these made for Jenna, she's 2 years old and is Allies sister. I didn't have enough fabric for Allie, as the crotch is where I ran into trouble. Allies' larger size would not fit the fabric lengthwise and I didn't have enough left over to fold crosswise. I think there may be 8, yes 8 Jammie bottoms here!!
Oh Jenna, you lucky girl!!

I was able to squeeze these two pair out for Allie. The strawberry shortcake are long, but the cute kitties are a capri length.
Now, it doesn't stop there my fellow bloggers, oh no, not yet.
I also made 8 pair for my grand sons, Jack and Kyler. I can't show you those because they are already wearing them, BUT, I can show you what I made with the little extra I had after the Jammie's.


I cut out 6 inch squares and decided to make a rag quilt. Now, don't hold your breath for this, and don't get me wrong, the quilt WILL happen, but they may be in college before they get it. HA!!
Just goes to show you, waste not, want not, but beware, you create a lot more work for yourself in the end, but it is satisfying and I love to see the little ones wearing something grandma made with love.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Some bunnies have a fabulous g'ma. WOW! look at all those jammies. Lucky them ...

Have a beautiful week.
TTFN ~
Marydon

Lynn said...

One of my favorite memories is Ma making me a pair of PJ's and then my Barbie a set to match-love that! I'm sure the kids get a kick out of you making them:@)

Daniella said...

I have heard of capri pj's!! My small son would get jammies his size, and they were always too long. Meaning, he would have them and wear them for YEARS! So, after 12 years, they would still fit his skinny body, but they would be WAY too short! And capri jammies were born!!
Definately, waste not want not!!!

I made small take out the garbage in his boxers today! He loves to run around in undies and a big shirt. Who would know what was under that shirt, right?
xxDaniella

Stephanie Suzanne Designs said...

Oh my goodness, I want to be a little girl again and have those pj's {teehee} :0) They are so adorable.

Pink Sparkles,
Stephanie ♥

Shirley said...

Hi Char, Little ones don't care at times what their jammies look like they just know grandma made them. They are so much fun and so enjoyable as we get older. Your comment will be the last one that I leave before I go out the door to work. Have a wonderful day? Are you close to any of the wild fires?
Your Missouri Friend.

Elyse said...

i have capri jammies! so fun for summer. your grandchildren must be adoring theirs not only because of the sweet fabrics but because they were made with love by you.

xo
elyse

The Old Parsonage said...

Hi Char

Love the look of the jammies - soft and cuddly. Can't wait to see everything as a quilt!

Leann

Gifts By Katherine said...

Oh I love this post it brought back memories for me. Hopping over from Pink Saturday. I enjoyed my visit to your lovely blog. Hugs