A little Bit About Me

My photo




Someplace in Thyme

I have been creating since I was a little girl. I am happy to say that having my own website has opened up a whole new world for me. Trying new mediums is a joy and sometimes a real eye opener. I sell what I create on etsy and my website, someplaceinthyme. If you have questions,please email me at cpeterson72@q.com. I welcome new blog friends and am honored if you find my little piece of heaven interesting enough to follow.

Monday, March 16, 2009

SPRING CLEANING: POLISHING COPPER: OH NO!!

Every year in my house, spring cleaning begins in the kitchen and with the pot rack. I guess that's because I have been collecting copper for over 30 years now and this is the one time during the year it all gets polished and the rack gets a good cleaning. My husband never dreamed that he was giving birth to this collection when he visited the back alleys of Turkey and brought me home some wonderful pieces. We were living in Greece, on the island of Crete when this all began. He introduced me to the wonders of raw copper and the men that tin the insides if you want to use the pans for cooking. I then began my journey for more, you can never have enough of a good thing, can you. I would walk the streets of Athens looking for unusual pieces to add to our home. This collection is a lot of work, but to me, well worth every minute. There is not a piece I could give up, believe me, I have thought about it. Now on the the copper on the walls.
It's a little too bare for me, needs more stuff, don't you think!?




I've got a friend


Not quite there yet, somethings missing.....



It was a lot of work, but well worth it. Now on to the copper on the walls, see ya later. Mission complete for another year anyway......well, maybe, if I'm lucky.



Have you ever seen a Turkish lunch box in copper? Spoon and fork screw on the sides and hold it all together.


There are three compartments for food storage in this box.

Look, there's even room on the top for salt!

I also have one in brass.

A cute little French lunch box.


Just a little room in here for one, a tiny someone!!












10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your copper is beautiful!! I am not a user of copper as I say it is too much work.... Yeah sure.... I have a ton of vintage silver that was handed down to me. Talk about intense cleaning!! LOL!!
Have a great day!
Marilyn
xxoo

The French Bear said...

Wow!!! Beautiful love the rooster and hen too!!!!
Margaret B

Anonymous said...

I have only one copper in my entire house...it is a hugh copper bowl which I have never used which gets cleaned once a year. HA Just like you once a year, every year.

I love those lunch boxes sooo cute, especially the french one~.

Kris

JudyBug said...

What gorgeous copper! It is so beautiful when it's polished...the glow. Great job!

JudyBug

Angela said...

Beautiful copper lunch box! I have some type of a food steamer thing that has different compartments similar but not as pretty as your lunch box.
Hugs,
Angela

Fifi Flowers said...

I ADORE copper pots... and love pot racks!

Nancy said...

Whew! I'm pooped just reading about it. I absolutely LOVE those lunch boxes.

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read this blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

Bonjour I'd like to congratulate you for such a terrific made site!
Was thinking this is a perfect way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Sage Brand
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/army-party-supplies.html]army Party Supplies[/url].

Anonymous said...

Don't stop posting such themes. I love to read stories like this. BTW add some pics :)