A little Bit About Me

My photo




Someplace in Thyme

I have been creating since I was a little girl. I am happy to say that having my own website has opened up a whole new world for me. Trying new mediums is a joy and sometimes a real eye opener. I sell what I create on etsy and my website, someplaceinthyme. If you have questions,please email me at cpeterson72@q.com. I welcome new blog friends and am honored if you find my little piece of heaven interesting enough to follow.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Cottage or Primitive Style?


This sweet raggedy annie doll symbolizes my cottage style in a dolls body. I guess you could say the pink hair says it all!!! Dresses in gorgeous fabrics showcasing roses, vintage quilted pieces, buttons and lace, just to name a few. Annie looks like she could be at home in any little girls room, (big girls and little girls, it's all the same.) In this picture I have her sitting on an antique childs chair I was fortunate enough to buy while I was visiting England. When I think of cottage, the color pink just comes to mind. I have to admit that I am not a pink person. My favorite color is and always has been yellow. I am not a pastel person either. I love the fall colors of burnt orange, deep colors just like a ripe pumpkin in October, red and rust with lots of golden yellows thrown in. This is my favorite season of all, and to me, the most beautiful colors of the world. When I envision a cottage, all white with large wooden porches, wicker chairs and cushy cushions, I envision the inside being light, bright and the type of place you wouldn't want to leave. Lots of roses both in fabrics and fresh, the smell of spring in the air. This is where it gets complicated for me.
Now comes the primitive part:
This is where it becomes tricky for me. I love primitive everything!!! The oldness of something that you know has been loved before. The patina antiques take on with age and time. The darkness of the wood and fabrics. Oh, the textiles, rich with color. You can have a typical looking cottage on the outside, all white with lots of greenery and beautiful roses blooming everywhere, but the first step inside and you know, this is not the typical pink cottage you see in the magizines. Primitive, dark aged furniture, cushions in deep blues, rusty reds, and yellow orcras. Fabrics on the walls, hanging for all to see, homemade candles, pip berries in wooden bowls, lots of rusty tin objects...the list goes on and on. Quilts everywhere and the smell of apple pie instead of lavender. Come on, need I say more?! If I had to pick one or the other, I am afraid it would have to be apple pie over lavender. Sorry my friends, it's me, it's in my blood, but it's not the life I live. It's my dream some day, but for now, it's the desert with a little of both thrown in for comfort. It's too hot in the summer to have the oven on for pies, so I smell lavender in my home, with a mixture of citrus, then in fall, I break free, and bring home the scents of heaven.


3 comments:

Winter said...

Precious Precious Precious Hugs Winter

gail said...

Hi,, I just wanted to stop by and say hello. I saw your post on the etsy cottage style blog. I fell in love with your pretty pink haired doll. You mentioned you were in the desert... Me too. I would love to be in some green by a lake somewhere. I am in tempe,AZ. Your baskets are beautiful too... have a good day and happy creating..gail

suzanne said...

Hi Char, thank you for visiting my blog. I just love your pink doll. I love all things pink and shabby but like you i have a side that also loves the primitives. I still decorate my kitchen with my much loved old crocks and dough bowls,and other antiques. If you were to come to my house it is quite a mix. One of my favorite pieces is an old rust colored cupboard that i would never part with. I bought it off a junk man for 200.00 . anyway, keep at the creating and designing, you do such a veautiful job!!!
HUGS,Suzanne